- Offered Salary Hourly Rate
- Hourly Rate £12-£14 per hour
- Experience 1 Years
HGV FITTER – OLDHAM
Shifts are 4 on and 4 off.
Pay is £13.85 per hour, plus 10%.
Experience of working on HGVs desirable.
Undertake the maintenance and repair, to a range of vehicles and machines and plant equipment, to the required quality standards, in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
- Undertake planned service and safety inspections of vehicles and equipment.
- Diagnose faults, recommend and undertake cost effective repairs
- Repair of vehicles/equipment as instructed.
- Carry out auto electrical repairs.
- Order spares at stores.
- Maintain a clean and tidy work area.
- Attend breakdowns and undertake vehicle / equipment recoveries.
- Occasionally collect spare parts from Suppliers.
- Manoeuvre vehicles as required.
- Complete time sheets, job sheets, service sheets and inspection reports in line with Council Policy, ‘O’ licence compliance and good practice.
- In exception undertake steam cleaning of vehicles prior to repairs including DOE/MOT preparation.
- Take vehicles to specialist repairers.
- Take vehicles to MOT and DOE test stations, rectify minor failure items (following approval / on site).
- Repair tools and equipment within the workplace.
- Carry out welding fabrication and repairs (gas, electric, mig).
- Diagnose vehicle defects to aid colleagues and categorise repairs
- In pursuit of the Department’s commitment to quality, carry out duties in accordance with the stated or implied requirements of the Quality Systems.
- Undertake MOT testing as required.
- To actively promote the equalities and diversity agenda in the workplace and in service delivery.
- To be familiar with customer care and health and safety polices of the Council/ Directorate.
- To participate in self-improvement in performance through workplace development.
- Undertake any additional duties commensurate with the grade of the post.
Education & Qualifications essential:
Class B licence
Numerate and literate sufficient to meet the requirements of the post
12 months experience of working on commercial vehicles and some small plant
Experience of undertaking service and safety inspections of vehicles and equipment.
Experience of carrying out welding and fabrication, auto electrical, vehicle and equipment recoveries and repairs.
Experience of diagnosing and repairing vehicle hydraulic equipment & electrical systems.
Skills & Abilities essential:
Able to work with Health and Safety guidelines
Ability to work with minimum supervision repairing and servicing vehicles to manufactures standards and times
Able to display a calm, tactful and responsible attitude. Self- motivated and be able to work on own initiative as well as the ability to work as part of a team and assist co workers as requested.
Ability to complete paperwork associated with the job, eg, job sheets and service inspection sheets.
To be able to undertake work at heights
Ability to support the councils Equalities and Diversity policy
Knowledge of electrical systems on vehicles, machinery and plant
Knowledge of the departments quality systems
Work Circumstances essential:
Willingness to wear any protective clothing provided
Willingness to undertake shift work
Capable of lifting, pushing, kneeling and handling as the post involves physical effort.
How to Apply for this position with Staff Recruitment:
- Submit your up-to-date CV online, alternatively email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Only candidates we feel meet the criteria will be contacted after application.
- You will then be asked to complete our online application form.
DUE TO THE VOLUME OF APPLICATIONS, WE CANNOT REPLY TO EVERYONE – PLEASE DO NOT CALL TO CHASE UP YOUR APPLICATION.